Join Us

Sunday
Morning Worship - 10:00 AM

Sunday School - 10:00 AM

Evening Worship - 6:00 PM

Wednesday
Evening Bible Study - 7:00 PM

_________________________

14800 NW Tiffany Park Road

Kansas City, MO 64153

816-330-3435

History

Storefront Church

 The roots of the church stretch back to the fall of 1942, when Bro and Sis. Patrick Ellis realized the need for a church in their lives. This was difficult because there was none in the area that upheld truth. A solution came when their kind landlord allowed them, along with a few other families, to have church in the storefront area of their apartment building on 8th Street. So, they continued this way for several months, determined and intent on having church.

 When they realized they also needed a man of God in their life, Bro. Ellis decided it was time to find a pastor for their church. After he had heard about a visiting minister from Illinois who had been through the area, and had attended one of the services; he knew they had found the right man. He made the long journey to Illinois to speak with Bishop Earl Calvert about their great need for a pastor. They came to an agreement and the new pastor decided to make Kansas City his new home. The church remained where it was for almost two years before God opened the door to show them the way to a building of their own.

Tent Church By 1945, they had found a piece of land that was perfect for building a church. This property was only a few blocks away from their previous place of worship, on the corner of 8th and Olive Street. They held services in a large tent at the back of the property while the church was being built. Construction took about two years and was directed by Earl Calvert, Patrick Ellis and Leroy Roland. The church was completed in 1947 and remained there for 28 years.

 The church made one more move after the 8th and Olive Street before they finally arrived at our current location on NW Tiffany Park Road in 1976. This raw piece of property was donated by Ms Ruth Bryant and immediately construction began. After having pastored for 32 years, Earl Calvert retired and handed over his pastoral duties to his son, Bishop Ronald Calvert. Services were held in the one-story building until 1980, when plans for a second story were put into action. The church settled into their renovated building until a change came almost 27 years later when Ronald Calvert retired and passed the leadership to his son, Pastor/Deceased Brent Calvert.

8th&Olive

 Brent Calvert saw the need for more revamping in 2009, and after two years the new and improved sanctuary was revealed. In June 2011, after 9 years of service to the church, Brent Calvert passed from this life at the age of 49. It was Brent Calvert’s wish and the Will of God that Pastor Terry Mays take over upon his death. Terry Mays is now the pastor here at First Pentecostal Church of Kansas City and we are continuing the remodeling process that was Brent Calvert’s dream.

 The church has seen times of joy and happiness; and times of hardship and sorrow. But no matter what came her way, she pressed on and because of that persistence and devotion; we are given the opportunity to partake of the benefits of this rich heritage.