The roots of the church stretch back to the Fall of 1942, when Bro. and Sis. Patrick Ellis realized the need for a church in their lives. This was difficult because there was none in the area that upheld truth. A solution came when their kind landlord allowed them, along with a few other families, to have church in the storefront area of their apartment building on 8th Street. So, they continued this way for several months, determined and intent on having church.
When they realized they also needed a man of God in their life, Bro. Ellis decided it was time to find a pastor for their church. After he had heard about a visiting minister from Illinois who had been through the area, and had attended one of the services; he knew they had found the right man. He made the long journey to Illinois to speak with Reverend Earl Calvert about their great need for a pastor. They came to an agreement and the new pastor decided to make Kansas City his new home. The church remained where it was for almost two years before God opened the door to show them the way to a building of their own.